Saturday, November 7, 2009

Inexpensive Craftiness

So I had last night off of work to register for Spring classes. I caught up on some stuff, and then felt my fingers itching to be crafty. I ran across this blog by The Nester, and thought I can totally do that for Thanksgiving!

So here is my Ragamuffin Wreath:


I already had 2 types of gold/yellow cloth torn into long strips because I was thinking about crocheting Huck a new bed. I went to Michael's and started looking around. Their Halloween stuff is 80% off, and in their $1 bin where I found the autumn leaves and brown ribbon. When I took it up to the register it was $2.50 each, but when I decided not to buy them the girl asked the manager walking by who gave them to me for $1! Yay! I did not even have to be brave and ask her to do it!


Anyways, I followed the Nester's tutorial and cut the strips of fabric and ribbon about 10" long. I then ripped apart an $.80 candle wreath I also got in the clearance section and glue gunned all the do-dads onto the ribbon. Nester recommends using ring clips to attach do-dads and to use on the ends. At Target the ring clips were $4.99 so I took a pass on those. The wreath is attached to the sides of the door with thumb tacks.

I am wondering if I should have hung it higher. It is not like we use the peep hole. I also am not very happy with the color in this picture. Oh well, beggars can't be choosers. Especially when my mom is nice enough to let me hijack her camera for months on end since mine broke.

So, final total on my little project with TX sales tax is $3.03.

My project was almost priceless as Isabelle was sneaky in her sneakers and snuck past me while I was hanging the wreath. I caught her in the driveway, but nearly had a heart attack imagining her darting off into the neighbor's bushes. Someone got a spank and so stayed away while mom was cleaning the door to take pictures today.

Back to the front door. I think I need some yellow mums or something to complete the picture. My garage sale pumpkins from this post are out there, but I need some yellow or orange.

P.S. I think my front door needs some color. Not red, as EVERYONE and their dog has a red door and our brick is not quite red. I am thinking navy...

2 comments:

Urban Legend said...

I think you need to come live in my apartment for a week and be crafty there. :)

JR said...

If I had 2 days to rub together I would be with you!

I don't know WHAT to do about your birthday presents! When will you get them? 'Tis a puzzlement!