Saturday, November 14, 2009

This Girl Has a Budget!

So, I have been WAITING to post this since I have been a slacker friend and not seen my buddy Sassy in over a month since her birthday! In my defense, she was working 2 overlapping jobs for a month and I am me. Not a good combo for the face-to-face relationship.

What to get Sassypants? She has everything. A cute apartamento, cute Jocelyn, lots of shoes, and other than sleep there is nothing that girl needs.

So, I decided to make her something. Since we are the bestest bartending partners on the planet, if I do say so myself, and are no longer bartending, I decided to pay homage to how we met.


I must admit a quandry I find myself in as a blogger. I will not be posting prices here. What if she knows? Sass appreciates the thought and the effort, but still. Besides, some of the cost - like the ribbon will be parlayed into Christmas gifts.

So I found the frame, painted it black, touched it up with sandpaper, turned the original picture on backwards, painted it black, and went to town with the glue gun! It was the most fun I have had in a while. Important, you do not need the glass for the frame. But you should get a frame with deep and or thick sides for aesthetic reasons.


I went to Target and got some push pins. I pushed them in the back of the frame, and then doubly anchored them there with a little scotch tape. It is like giving gifts without batteries, people. You have to think through every possible need or contingency. I almost gave her a nail to hang it with...


Here it is again in all its cuteness. That's right. I put another picture up just so I could pat myself on the back again. Craftiness that turns out how I like it are few and far between.

I got the all Texas wine corks on ebay for a ridiculously tiny amount of money. I bought a little lot of 20 corks. Funny, I had oodles of corks that I dragged around for years never doing anything with them and gave them away when my aunt visited this spring. I actually forgot I gave them away and spent a ridiculous amount of time searching for them and cursing myself for putting things in "safe places" before I remembered. That is what I get for being a pack-rat for the first 28 years of my life and trying to reform in the last year. You can still remember all the treasures you had socked away. Oh well, onwards and upwards! Next year I will be glad I am purging when the hubs and the cats and I are all mushed in a tiny university apartment somewhere.

Oh! I tacked the ribbon to the side of the wine corks so it would stay like it is. It is also wire-edged ribbon I got on sale at Michael's. I firmly believe in the necessity of wire-edged ribbon.

1 comment:

Caffeinated Mommy said...

I FREAKING love it (in case you couldn't tell)!!! That is an awesome idea and it turned out so good! I love how creative you are....you always inspire me to do more. Love you =o)