Friday, July 10, 2009

Misfortune and Redemption

This morning I woke up to set out to buy, buy, buy! I had my handy list of directions with garage sales and times all ready and I had on my good juju garage sale t-shirt. I was ready to conquer Georgetown. I have never "shopped" in Georgetown, but had visions of golf course homes, sterling silver, and jewels for quarters. 

The whole way there my adrenaline starts pumping, I am singing along to The Killers, and getting this unshakeable feeling that I am going to find something great. 

Cue the violins, this is where my tale of misfortune begins.

So last night I noticed a craigslist ad I had marked had been deleted. Doh. 
But then I found it reposted. Yay! 
Then all my homies cancelled. Doh! 
Then I found a post where someone had already mapped out the Georgetown garage sales and their times on google. Double Yay! 
Who needs tag-alongs anyways? They only slow a sister with a list and directions down. 

I put my marriage in jeopardy by setting the alarm for 6:15am, and was on the road by 6:45am. The sun is shining, Mac Brown is being hilarious on the radio, I mean things were going good. 

So I hit the first 2 sales. Or should I say I drove repeatedly by the same 2 houses looking like  a stalker since there was no movement. I brush it off. After all, people can change their minds at 6:30am. I'll swing back by after the others.

Two more sales and nada, zip, zero. I am still not upset because the whole reason I came to Georgetown in the first place was a purported Warehouse Sale with antiques. I knew it was for a charity, but I was not on my A-game. The "warehouse" description is what swayed my better judgement. I should have known that a Maternity Home was going to mean donated baby crap. I am not dogging charity, but this girl has a goal. And well worn child's crap is not it. Sigh. I trudged back to my car. 

Back in the car I gave it a good 'ole college try and stopped one last place before getting on the highway. Nothing. At this point I gave up and called my mother to get sympathy for getting bamboozled. I still cannot understand why a person would do that. Lead me on a goose chase all over Georgetown? What high do they get out of that? How do they even know anyone followed their advice? Argh. Sigh. 

So, I am headed home - going the speed limit all the way home. Sigh again. There is now nothing on the radio. There is now traffic. It is looking like a Very Bad No Good Rotten Day. I figure my good sale juju of the last month is gone. 




But cue the trumpets, a SALE sign on my way home! Oh, to have seen it on my way out! I got a Tiffany lamp, 4 Pier 1 pumpkins, and a box! The sun began to shine and I came home a hero!



P.S. The pumpkins were originally $10 at Pier 1, and I got them for $1 each!

1 comment:

MAM said...

Grandmother and I read your GREAT blog together, so fun. We are very impressed with your shopping abilities. Mommy knows since you bought 4 pumpkins, (and even numbers are bad juju in decorating), that you need help, so I am willing to take one! :-)
What great buys you found!!
love,
mominco and shtashrenko (sp- who knows??)