Saturday, January 9, 2010

Weirdo Delicioso Shepherd's Pie

I would like to begin this post by saying that I like to credit people. I have been in school a long time and understand referencing in all matter of formats: MLA, APA, blogging niceties, etc. However, I am not sure how to reference this recipe.

I think it is from a book called Sweet Revenge. I only think this not KNOW this because I was given a copy of copy which has multiple handwritten destructions that show it to be passed on and tidbits added to it. Which makes it kind of archeological in a way, but I digress.

Here it is in all it's fresh-out-of-the-oven-smelling-heavenly-goodness:


Given my reference questions I will just post here how I did it, since it is meant to feed all the world's hungry and there are only 2 of us. I obviously did not cut it down enough, but here is what I did for what you see above.

1 lb. ground beef
1 c. chopped onion
1 c. chopped celery
2 TBSP olive oil
3 TBSP flour (I use unbleached)
1 c. chicken stock
1 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp rosemary (which I didn't have, so I used an Italian seasoning blend with rosemary IN it)
1 tsp sea or kosher salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
2 LARGE baking potatoes
1 c. (ish) half-n-half
1 c. Gruyere (I used Italian Kraft blend because I am thrifty)
A little butter

* 1/2 c. frozen baby peas
*1/2 c. frozen baby corn
* I did not use.

I would at this point like to point out that I made this over 3 days. So I have zero idea how long it actually takes to cook.

Saute beef, onions, & celery until beef is browned and vegetables are limp. I drained the meat, then added the olive oil and vegetables. Add flour and stir in well. This thickens the mixture and it begins to stick together. The recipe says it should be bubbling, and I am guessing they did not drain it. Slowly add the chicken stock. Stir and add in thyme, rosemary, salt, & pepper. Cook and stir until mixture is bubbly and thickened. *Stir in peas and corn and set aside.

Boil salted water, peel potatoes and add. In an small saucepan heat the half-n-half to steaming, but not boiling. (SUCH A GOOD TIP!) Drain potatoes, mix on a low speed with an electric mixer slowly adding the half-n-half and cheese. Salt and pepper to taste.


In each pie pan place 1/2 the beef mixture and top with potatoes. Scatter little butter bits on top of potato mix and sprinkle with paprika (totally forgot this!)

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes in a baking sheet. I lined the rack with foil because I was worried about it bubbling through the potatoes. Which probably would have happened if the potatoes had not been cold from me making them the day before. Instead of butter and paprika, I pulled the pies out 10 minutes early and sprinkled a little cheese to brown.

I love thyme and this dish has plenty of it. It is hot and different which I am going for right now with the cold weather and trying to eat at home.

No comments: