Monday, January 11, 2010

Accessories on Standby

So I am cleaned up from Christmas and things around the house always seem rather flat and uninteresting after the holidays. I like things bright and gussied up. I have been contemplating a recent post by The Nester that you can see for yourself here.

I have a serious problem that once an accessory or a piece of furniture is in a really good spot I mentally deem that ITS PLACE. Not a big deal when you switch apartments once a year and it takes 6 months to find that spot. But now I have a house. It has been 2.5 years. Time to get a little jiggy wid it. If you know what I mean.

So, back to the ever fabulous Nester's post. I try to think as I am reading about what thing sI have that are the same size, the same color, and I have a mental block. I cannot picture it. I cannot even think about what I have stored away. I seem to have lost all imagination.

What to do. Oh what to do.



Drastic measures were clearly called for in this situation. So I proceeded to take every accessory in the house and pile it on the dining room table in my melodramatic "I have lost my imagination" way.

I did leave a few exceptions in their place as too much work is just not sensational. I left the goodies above the kitchen cabinets where they were, and I left the office alone so the hubs could still have a safe place.

I have decided to live a bare house for a few days in hopes of reconfiguring my brain not to have specific homes for specific items. So far I have switched out a few lamps. Next I will do something with all the bookcases as the holes that have been left clearly show the need for some rearranging.



Also, you start to forget what exactly you have in your possession after a decade of carting things around. I also want to have a home goods swap at some point, so I am hoping to find some things I truly can live without. We will see.

No comments: